1½ cups brown lentils, rinsed and picked through
6 cups low sodium vegetable stock
4 garlic cloves, smashed
1 red chili, diced
¼ red onion, diced
5 sprigs fresh thyme, roughly chopped
2 slices wholegrain bread, roughly diced
1 ½ cups freshly made breadcrumbs
salt and pepper, to taste
2 eggs, lightly whisked
1-2 tablespoons wholegrain flour
To make the lentil burger patties:
- Place the lentils in a large saucepan with the stock and
- Bring to the boil over medium-high heat.
- Simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils
are tender. Drain off any excess liquid and set aside to
- Combine the chili, red onion, thyme and breadcrumbs in
a large bowl. Add the cooked lentils and stir to mix.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the whisked eggs to the burger mixture. Stir until
thoroughly combined, adding enough flour to bring the
- Form the mixture into large patties with your hands.
- Prepare a large frying pan with a light coating of vegetable oil or cooking spray.
- Cook the lentil burger patties on the prepared pan for 4-5
minutes, flip and cook for another 4-5 minutes on the
other side, or until both sides are golden and cooked
Prepare to eat like any other burger (your choice of breads or buns and condiments etc.) This should make @ 8 lentil burgers. You can freeze and reheat leftovers.